Monday, June 13, 2011

Birthday Continued... Mule Stick

A year or so ago I was in New York with my family and my dad and I went to the National Museum of the American Indian, to see a special exhibit called "A Song for the Horse Nation".  The exhibit was incredibly beautiful, and very moving for me, since I love horses and because my horse had passed away.  One of the things that I loved the most in the exhibit were the horse dance sticks, carried in ceremonies.  They were carved and decorated in the likeness of a special horse, usually one who had died in battle. 

This is one of the horse dance sticks shown in the exhibit.

You can see a few others as well at the online exhibit of A Song for the Horse Nation.

When I went back home I wanted to make a horse stick of my horse Windsong (Winnie) who had passed away. It was hard for me emotionally and physically and I didn't get too far.  

For my birthday this year, my dad made me a mule stick in the likeness of our mule Livee.
Here it is:




It is a beautiful work of folk art and it is so special and meaningful to me.
Thanks so much Poppa.

No comments:

Post a Comment