Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Napkin Mail

When I was at the Chicago workshop with Donovan Beeson I learned something fun and new!
You can decorate your mail with napkins!

Donovan had a few different packets of Halloween napkins and showed us how to use them.  You should peel off the top most layer to use for the mail art.  I believe she used a glue stick to glue them to the envelope, but I was a bit concerned that they would come off, so when I tried it at home I covered them with clear packing tape too.  :)

This one is a bit messy, but I like the end product and sometimes it's fun to be messy and it's therapeutic to just not worry about the wrinkles!

In this one I cut out the image from the napkin. It's still a bit wrinkly but I think it looks a bit cleaner.

I'm excited to do this more! It's fun to get pretty napkins sometimes (to eat with) and one napkin normally has 4 images because of the way that they are folded, so they are real work horses in terms of mail art equipment!

I also liked the Jazz stamp for my Halloween mail since it has a nice orange, black and grey color scheme.

Oh, and in the last envelope, in the lower left hand corner I had tried to draw a bat and it came out looking terrible! So I just slapped on some Charlie Brown stickers. Mail art is always salvageable. :)

2 comments:

  1. Hey Emilie,

    Thought you might enjoy another way to use paper napkins for writing/mail art.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9hpqpeljWd4&feature=related

    I ran across this a couple of years ago and never have gotten around to trying it, maybe I will with your inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for this link StoneZebra. It looks very cool! I might try it when I have some free time!

      Delete